The Ring Video Doorbell 4 is the newest video doorbell from Ring. It is an ideal product for someone that wants that little extra security in knowing who is at their door, even when they are not at home.
While video doorbells have been around for a while, this is the newest one, and as a result, it comes packed with all the newest features. Here we will review it to see if it is something worth purchasing.
What Does the Ring Video Doorbell 4 Do?
The Ring Video Doorbell 4 can replace your existing doorbell or work as a standalone doorbell.
- Whenever someone rings the doorbell, you will receive an alert on your phone. This alert will allow you to speak with whoever is at your door.
- An added benefit of this device is that you are able to customize motion alerts so that you are notified when someone is approaching your home, regardless of whether they ring the doorbell.
How Easy Is the Installation Process?
One of the most appealing aspects of the Ring Video Doorbell 4 is that it is very versatile. If you are unable to make modifications to your home, it can run on a rechargeable battery.
Alternatively, you can install it using the wiring that is in place for your original doorbell. You should note, your transformer needs to provide between 8 and 24 VAC.
To hardwire your new doorbell, follow these steps:
- Start by removing the old one, but make sure you turn off the power first.
- Connect your new video doorbell to the two doorbell wires.
- Then mount it to the wall using the screws that came with the product.
- Use an electric drill when mounting the doorbell.
- If you plan on using battery power, make sure you remove the battery and charge it before installation.
There is a micro USB port built into the battery that is used for charging. The doorbell comes with a cable in the box that can be used to charge it.
It takes six to eight hours to complete a full charge.
Getting Set Up on the Ring App
Once you have installed the Ring Video Doorbell 4, you will need to install the Ring app.
- When you are in the app, you should select the “Add a new device” option.
- You can then scan the QR code on the side of the doorbell before following the prompts in the app.
- When going through the prompts, you will be asked to give it a name, adjust its motion sensitivity, and to customize its settings to fit your needs.
The longest part of the installation is waiting to download and install software updates once it is connected to your home network. In total, it should not take longer than 15 minutes to install the Ring Video Doorbell 4.
How Does it Perform?
People that have purchased the Ring Video Doorbell 4 have not experienced any significant issues with the product.
- It has been tested in its entire 160 degrees by 84 degree field and it rarely alerts the owner of erroneous motions like leaves blowing by.
- When you answer the doorbell on your phone, the video is clear, and the audio is crisp.
- The night vision feature works very well when someone comes to your door at night.
It is difficult to estimate how long the battery will last because of several factors such as motion alerts and recording frequency. However, if you have a standard outlet near your doorbell, you can purchase an adapter to keep your doorbell charged at all times.
Another good idea is to purchase a second battery so that you can swap it out when one battery is charging.
The Ring Video Doorbell 4’s Relationship with the Police
One major issue that may turn off some prospective buyers is the product’s relationship with the police.
- Ring struck a deal in 2019 that gave criminal investigators access to heat maps that showed the distribution of Ring doorbell cameras in their precincts.
- Ring also installed a mechanism that allowed the police to request access to the footage from these cameras.
The policy has shifted since then to encourage the police to ask doorbell owners directly for access to footage if it is needed. This may or may not affect your interest in the product, but it is important that you are aware of it nonetheless.
Other Small Issues with the Ring Video Doorbell 4
Although there have not been many complaints made about this product, there have been a few.
- Some customers are upset that only small upgrades have been made from the previous version. This has led to the discussion that the product is not worth the raised price.
- The pre-roll video is not pre-recorded in HD. Instead, it features a pixelated clip to give customers a rough idea of what happened.
- This product is currently listed at $199.99.
It is one of, but not the most expensive video doorbell on the market.
The Ring Video Doorbell 4 is a high quality product that is effective at doing what it is advertised to do. It provides high quality video and audio so that you can see and talk with the person at your door before you open it.
It is also easy to install, and it has good battery life.
Unfortunately, the downsides include the relationship Ring has with the police and the price of the product. It is one of the most expensive options on the market.
With all that in mind, the Ring Video Doorbell 4 is one of the best video doorbells on the market and is a great option for prospective buyers.
Residing in Ontario, Canada, Alex is a full time freelance writer. He’s been in the business for 4 years and is an SEO and WordPress expert.